Age: 15, will be 16 in July
1. What year were you diagnosed with PCOS? September 2010. I was 13
2. What was your reaction when you found out? Poly-Cystic what? I was a little scared. I was told that it might have something to do with the fact that I had been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the age of 11.
3. Since being diagnosed, what changes have you made? I’ve been doing a lot of research. I’m cutting out the carbs and trying to exercise more. (Feeling a little guilty at the moment, I’ve had no time due to exams at school.
4. What medications were you prescribed? I was already taking most of the medications normal prescribed, including birth control. I’m taking Glumetza (generic for Metformin) and a few other pills I’ve forgotten the names of.
5. Had you heard about PCOS before being diagnosed? Never.
6. Have you met any other females with PCOS? Yes. Mostly online.
7. How did you educate yourself about PCOS? Going on the internet and doing research.
8. Is it difficult to talk about PCOS with family and friends? Do they show support? It’s not really hard talking about it to close friends or family. It kind of is some people. When I told my grandma about she decided it was a good to go tell the rest of family, without even asking. That annoys me a little, and she tries to live my life for me. So does my mom.
9. What were your symptoms before being diagnosed? How are your symptoms now? I had incredible heavy periods. When I was 9 I had to be put on iron pills because I’d lost so much blood. That’s also when I was put on birth control. I had horrible weight gain and insulin resistance, and as I mentioned before, I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at the age of 11. The frustrating part was the Endocrinologist I was going to at the time didn’t tell mom I was diagnosed until mom decided to ask if I was.
10. Do you see an Endocrinologist or OB/GYN? Yes. The Endocrinologist I see now was the one who had me tested at PCOS because she thought something was up when I told her about my symptoms.
11. What are your interests/hobbies?When I’m not at school or studying? I like to spend time with my mom and friends. I like the internet, probably more than I should.
12. What is one of your guilty pleasures? Spending too much time online or on the Wii. Heh…
13. Is there anything else that you’d like to see on this blog? I’d like to know how other women lost weight and live with it. I’d also like to know if there are any other women in the same situation as me with type 2 diabetes.
14. What do you think of the new category for meeting other females with PCOS? I like it. I like knowing that I’m not the only one going through this. Even I might be the only one of my age. =P